We're Hiring: Out on Campus Volunteer Coordinator [P/T Paid Position]
The Out on Campus (OOC) Volunteer Coordinator is primarily responsible for overseeing, coordinating and assisting with the delivery of Society programs, series, and activities in the Society’s Out on Campus lounge, aimed primarily at lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer + students and their allies at Simon Fraser University. The OOC Coordinator acts as the primary liaison between the Society and the Out on Campus Collective. This is a part-time, paid position at 28 hours per week.
To provide the consistent, effective and smooth operation of the Out on Campus Centre by providing resources, materials, programs and services that meet the needs of the membership.
Working Relationship(s)/Role in Organizational Structure:
The Out on Campus Volunteer Coordinator works with and participates in the Out on Campus Collective and supervises the Designated Assistant and Project Workers as well as works in tandem with other Student Society staff. The Out on Campus Coordinator reports to the Student Society Chief Executive Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate projects, programs, services and other events of benefit to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer students and their
allies at Simon Fraser University.
2. Engage in volunteer recruitment, training development and delivery as well as ongoing support to volunteers.
3. Provide initial peer support and crisis referrals.
4. Administer the Out on Campus area, including but not limited to the resource center and lounge.
5. Assist in advertising and promoting the services provided by the Out on Campus area.
6. Organize and resource Out on Campus collective meetings.
7. Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of campus and off-campus resources for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer students and their allies at Simon Fraser University.
8. Maintain files, databases, administrative systems, supplies and equipment.
9. Prepare the annual budget for submission for the Out on Campus department for consideration by the Out on Campus Collective and the Finance and Administrative Services Committee.
Required Skills and Experience:
1. Experience with issues faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer students in an academic institutional environment.
2. Ability and experience in volunteer recruitment training and support.
3. Ability and experience working with lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender and queer persons in crisis situations.
4. Ability to work within a collective structure, using consensus decision making.
5. Ability to work in a self-supervisory, multi-task environment, within clear timelines.
6. Strong interpersonal skills.
7. Ability, training and experience in conflict resolution.
8. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
9. Strong organizational skills.
10. Administrative ability and experience.
11. Excellent computer skills – Microsoft Office Suite.
12. Knowledge of post-secondary student organizations structure and mandate.
13. Understanding of the role of the Student Society and its membership, in terms of advocacy, representation, and the provision of services.
The Simon Fraser Student Society is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply email your resume, cover letter, and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org citing that you are applying for the Out on Campus Volunteer Coordinator in the subject line. Acceptable file formats include MS Word documents or PDF files. Unreadable files will be ignored. Applications must be received no later than 1:00 pm on Friday, March 31, 2017. Only applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.