The SOCA Black Student Support Centre (SOCA BSSC) is operated by SFU Students of Caribbean and African Ancestry (SOCA). SOCA is the constituency group that governs the affairs of the Centre. SOCA offers events, resources, support services and advocacy for Black people and persons of African ancestry. Find events at sfusoca.ca/events.
The SOCA BSSC was created following years of Black students advocacy led by SOCA for the SFSS to provide safe space and services for Black students.
The SOCA BSSC is dedicated to creating a safe space and programming for the members of the Black community at SFU and the SOCA BSSC Coordinator facilitates the design and implementation of programs for the Centre. SOCA offers these services to all Black student members of the SFSS:
- Safe space and community to Black students
- Advocacy and campaign support to SFSS’s Black students i.e. SOCA’s constituents
- Culturally specific supports
- Organization and hosting of Black and African-Descent student gatherings, cultural events, and other culturally relevant activities
Centre Hours and Location
9am to 4:30pm PST
Room 1430 in the Student Union Building, SFU, Burnaby Campus
How to reach out to the Centre
Contact SOCA via email at [email protected] or call 778-782-7750
Contact SOCA BSSC:
- Coordinator, Aicha Araba Etrew (Araba) at [email protected] or use this Job Request / Support form