The Student Union Building (SUB) is part of the Build SFU project, a $65M student-funded initiative led by the SFSS in cooperation with SFU. Since its inception in 2013, the project has been devoted to building the new SUB and a stadium for SFU’s Burnaby campus, both aiming to enhance the sense of community and student experience at SFU.
The SUB offers 113,000 square feet of student activity and study space, and some much-needed facilities, including individual study stations, lounge spaces, event and social gathering spaces, rehearsal rooms, a napping room, a gaming lounge and a large dining hall connecting to Maggie Benston Centre (MBC).
Learn more about the different spaces and services you can enjoy here.
The SUB also includes office space for the SFSS staff and student-elected Board of Directors, a General Office (GO) desk, and a Student Centre for Student Clubs and Unions.
The SUB is located south of Freedom Square between the Diamond Family Auditorium (DFA) and the Academic Quadrangle (AQ):
Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6
The Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS) acknowledges that the SUB is located on the Unceded Traditional Territories of the Coast Salish People(s), including the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh), kʷikʷəƛ ̓ əm (Kwikwetlem) and q̓icə̓y̓(Katzie) Nations.
Check here to locate any specific space or service within the SUB.
Hours of Operation
- Open: Monday to Friday, 9am – 10pm
- Closed on all Statutory Holidays and on International Women’s Day
- Mask/face coverings are mandatory:
- Everyone entering the building is required to keep their masks/face covering on at all times when moving through the SUB and while seated. The exception is when eating meals, where masks may be removed and put back on promptly upon finishing.
- When snacking and drinking, masks must be on between bites and sips. Staff will be moving around the SUB throughout the day to ensure masks/face coverings are being worn.
- Avoid visiting the Student Union Building (SUB) if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, headache, shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, tiredness among others.