Internal/External Job Posting
Build SFU Student Outreach Assistant
Are you a born leader? Are you driven, outgoing and always have a positive attitude? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we want you!
Become a Build SFU Student Outreach Assistant and get students informed and involved with their future Student Union Building!
Description: The Build SFU Student Outreach Assistant is responsible for assisting in the consultation and outreach processes of the Build SFU project by delivering a friendly, outgoing and charismatic approach with students.
This is a temporary part-time position scheduled up to 20 hours per week. The employment period for this temporary position is from January 3rd to January 17th, 2014.
Applicants must be available to work Monday to Friday within the hours of 9:30am to 4:30pm and be able to commit to at least 2 full (7hour) days a week.
This is a unionized position with membership in Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3338-5 at a wage rate of $14.50 per hour with additional benefits as defined in the Collective Agreement.
The Simon Fraser Student Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Goal: To encourage, promote and facilitate involvement in the Build SFU project.
Working Relationship(s) Role in Organizational Structure: The Build SFU Student Outreach Assistant is primarily responsible for supporting the SFSS Board of Directors in its pursuit to build a Student Union Building (SUB) and Stadium at Simon Fraser University on Burnaby Mountain, generally referred to as the “Build SFU” project. The position will report to the Build SFU General Manager and Build SFU Consultation Coordinator. The staff of the Build SFU office report to the Student Society Executive Director who reports to the Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work with the Consultation Coordinator by conducting student outreach activities.
2. Responsible for communicating project status and updates to the undergraduate student population through outreach.
3. Attend meetings and/or events related to the Build SFU portfolio as indicated or directed by the Build SFU staff.
4. Maintain a strong understanding of the Build SFU project.
5. Work with other SFSS Staff, student representatives and university staff as required.
6. Promotion and outreach including putting up posters, tabling, collaborating on projects and attending events.
7. Act as a liaison between students and the Build SFU project by maintaining the front desk reception at the Build SFU Think Tank.
8. Other tasks that may arise in conjunction with the Build SFU project.
9. Ability and willingness to travel and work between SFU campuses as required for outreach activities.
Required Skills and Experience:
1. Familiarity with the Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS) and SFU campuses.
2. Strong communication skills and command of the English language.
3. Ability to communicate information and data effectively and accurately.
4. Strong ability to work with students from all demographics.
5. Enjoy working with people in a fast paced environment.
6. Passion for student engagement and the Build SFU project.
7. Familiar with Microsoft Office Suite, both Mac and PC.
8. Ability to work independently and with a team.
To apply, email your resume, cover letter and your preferred employment period (as mentioned above) to email@example.com citing that you are applying for the SFSS Build SFU Student Outreach Assistant position in the subject line. Acceptable file formats include MS Word documents or PDF files. Unreadable files will be ignored.
Resumes must be received no later than 12:00 pm (noon) on November 8th, 2013. Candidates must be available for training on January 3rd, 2014.
Only applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.