The Minute Taker is responsible for providing secretarial and administrative support to the SFSS Board of Directors, SFSS Executive Director, SFSS Committees and SFSS Forum in the form of providing effective organizational scheduling, board and committee agenda preparation, minuting and other tasks that may be assigned.
This is a part time (up to 20 hours per week) designated assistant position and is included in the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3338-5 at a wage rate of $14.50 per hour. Vacation and Statutory pay will also be paid as per the CUPE Local 3338-5 Collective Agreement.
The Simon Fraser Student Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Goal: To support the work of the Board of Directors as indicated in the description above.
Working Relationship(s)/Role in Organizational Structure
The Minute Taker will work in the Resource Office in conjunction with the Communications Coordinator. The Minute taker reports to the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties of the Minute Taker are as follows:
- Prepare agendas for SFSS Board, committees, working groups, Forum and other meetings as required
- Attend, record and transcribe minutes of SFSS Board, committees, working groups, Forum and other meetings as required
- Format, edit, print, compile and upload minutes to the SFSS website in a timely fashion
- Maintain meeting schedules and committee compositions on the SFSS website
- Schedule meetings of the SFSS Board, committees, working groups, Forum and other meetings as directed ensuring that the appropriate facilities, rooms and equipment are booked as required
- Compile all board and committee member schedules and in consultation with the President and Committee Chairs arrange semester meeting times
- Track and compile decisions of Committees and Board and forward to the Financial Office
- Assist and report to the Executive Director regarding administrative tasks assigned
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, Mac and PC
- Excellent transcription, writing and word processing skills
- Ability to take detailed minutes
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a self-supervisory, multi-task environment, within clear timelines
- Experience taking and producing minutes in a timely fashion
- Typing speed of approximately 65 words per minute
- Administrative ability and experience
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks
Preferred Skills and Experience:
Open Source CMS editing beneficial but not required
Knowledge of and interest in issues confronting SFU undergraduate students
An understanding of the role of a Student Society
Experience in a non-profit, membership-based board/committee driven organization
Experience with Robert’s Rules of Order
To apply email your resume, cover letter and availability to email@example.com citing that you are applying for the SFSS Minute Taker position in the subject line. Acceptable file formats include MS Word documents or PDF files. Unreadable files will be ignored. As part of the interview process a short meeting simulation will be conducted to test candidates typing and minute taking abilities. A computer will be provided.
Resumes must be received no later than 12:00 pm (noon) on February 4, 2013. Interviews will occur on February 7, 2013 between 9:30 am and 4:30pm. The starting date for the position is February 18th, 2013.
Only applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.