Internal/ External Job Posting
Student Union Resource Office Outreach Worker (Term Position)
Description: The Student Outreach Worker position supports the Student Union Organiser in the front-line delivery of information and assistance related to the organization and servicing of departmental and faculty student unions. This is a term position for the Fall 2015 semesteronly with potential for an extension in the term (up to 18 hours per week) and is included in the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3338-5 at a wage rate of $14.87 per hour.
Vacation and Statutory pay will also be paid as per the CUPE Local 3338-5 Collective Agreement.
The Simon Fraser Student Society is an equal opportunity employer.
To encourage, facilitate and promote the involvement of members in all aspects of the Society’s operations, activities and events by organizing new departmental student unions and by assisting those student unions already active. Working Relationship(s) Role in Organizational Structure: The Student Union Resource Outreach position works with and reports to the Student Union Organiser, who oversees and manages the Student Union Resource Office.
The Student Union Resource Office staff report to the Student Society Executive Director and the Financial and Administrative Services Committee which reports to the Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Classroom speaking
2. Preparing and distributing written materials to support the work of Student Unions.
3. In concert with the Student Union Organiser and the Member Services Officer initiate Departmental Student Union activity on campus.
4. Convening and attending Student Union meetings and Student Union officers elections.
5. Maintaining Student Union Resource Office records, Student Union meeting minutes and results of Student Union officer elections.
6. Establishing and maintaining current Student Union contact lists.
7. Hosting seminars for Student Union members on Student Society constitutional requirements, policies, procedures, campaigns, services and resources.
8. Maintaining regular office hours.
9. Attending weekly meeting with the Student Union Organiser and the Member Services Officer.
10. Preparing semesterly reports outlining outreach and student union activities.
Required Skills and Experience:
1. Demonstrated knowledge of issues confronting students.
2. Knowledge and understanding of Departmental Student Union structures and role within the Simon Fraser Student Society.
3. Participation (active membership) in an SFSS Student Union is an asset.
4. Political organizing experience, preferably in educational environments.
5. Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
6. Good time-management skills and ability to work autonomously.
7. Familiarity with both MAC and PC O/S and with Microsoft Office Suite
8. Flexibility in scheduling hours of work.
To apply email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org citing the position that you are applying for, Student Union Resource Office Outreach – Student position in the subject line. Acceptable file formats include MS Word documents or PDF files. Unreadable files will be ignored. Applications must be received no later than 14:59 on TuesdayAugust 18, 2015.
Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted on Tuesday August 18, and must be available for a in person 30 to 60 minute interview on the following dates; Wednesday, August 19 and Thursday, August 20.
The starting date for the position is tentatively anticipated to be Monday, August 24, 2015.
Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted.