SFU Health & Counselling (HCS)
Not sure where to start? Consider attending a virtual drop-in with one of the Health and Counseling Access Case Managers: https://www.sfu.ca/students/health/get-support/hcs-service-navigators.html
Other great resources from Health and Counseling:
- Self-Guided options: https://www.sfu.ca/students/health/resources/online-tools.html
- Health and Counselling’s Identity-based options: https://www.sfu.ca/students/health/resources/identity.html
- For Peer Support, see: https://www.sfu.ca/students/health/whats-happening/healthpeers-sfu.html.html
- Support Groups and Group Counseling: https://www.sfu.ca/students/health/get-support/support-groups/virtual-programs-tags/all-groups.html
My SSP (Student Support Program)
SFU Sexual Violence Support & Prevention Office (SVSPO)
Connecting with an Indigenous Counsellor
- Book an appointment with SFU’s Indigenous Counsellor, email [email protected] and ask to book with Jennifer, HCS Indigenous Counsellor
Local Reduced or No-Cost Counselling Options
- This well-organized list, updated quarterly by Willowtree, includes free or reduced-cost options for off-campus counselling.
Online counseling with a specific focus on serving the LGBTQ2+ community. Pro Bono and Sliding Scale options are available. The Community Access Fund is reserved exclusively for LGBTQ2IA+ folx, with priority being given to those living with multiple intersections, particularly BIPOC and Disabled folx. They welcome those experiencing financial barriers to accessing mental health services (including HRT and Surgical Readiness Assessments) to contact us to inquire about available funds.
Provincial and Health Authority Supports
- General virtual mental health supports are available through the BC government, which has listings of a variety of psychological services. The new BC COVID-19 Mental Health Network is also offering free short-term one on one counselling for people struggling with COVID-19 related impacts. Email [email protected].
- The Fraser Health Crisis Line is also available 24/7 to address COVID-19 related anxiety, depression and other mental health issues at 1-877-820-7444.
Finch– this app coaches users to practice self-care and wellness through daily check in’s with their own personal little bird friend. Particularly useful parts include the first aid sections for when you’re having a rough time, breathing coaching and goal setting features.
For more specific resources and support organized by identity groups, please also see this page: https://sfss.ca/specific-resources-for-equity-groups/
Know of a resource we should share? Please send that info to [email protected]!