FOOD BANK PROGRAM
About the Program:
This program is for EMERGENCY NEED of food only. Please complete the form only if hunger is a pressing issue (to maintain food funds). This is a valuable and essential service to students, from students, and is intended to serve as an online food bank. Please consider modified grocery store hours during this time, and remember to practice safety measures to aid in the battle against COVID-19. Additionally, attempt to visit as infrequently as possible without resorting to hoarding behaviour.
This food bank service is open for SFU Undergraduate students and FIC students ONLY. SFU Graduate Students are not eligible for this program.
To promote the safety of students and staff and to adhere to social distancing guidelines, we have made some changes to how food vouchers will be distributed. Starting April 6, 2020 all food vouchers will be mailed out to your home address. You will not be able to pick them up from SFU Campuses. Please make sure to provide your full information in this form; otherwise we will not be able to process your request.
For the Spring 2020 Semester, you will only need to make ONE request. You will be given a one-time lump sum. You will not be able to make any more requests for the rest of the semester. Please fill out the websurvey here: http://websurvey.sfu.ca/survey/371353491
If you are in need, you can also refer to Embark’s Food Rescue Program at Burnaby campus. Embark collects healthy yet imperfect-looking produce that does not meet the selling criteria of supermarket chains and redistributes it to the university community for free or by donation. Food is collected from Nesters Market and distributed at SFU Burnaby at Embark’s Learning Garden, on the south side of TASC1.
If hunger remains an issue for you, please contact your local food bank in the meantime. You can visit https://foodbank.bc.ca/find-food/locations/ to find a food bank that will be able to assist you.
FREE LEGAL CLINIC
We are proceeding with legal clinic meetings by phone during the regular scheduled times. Please email the Student Centre (firstname.lastname@example.org) to book an appointment.
OUT ON CAMPUS
- You can stay in touch with SFU’s LGBTQ+ communities on our new Discord server, which can be accessed by any SFU/FIC student at https://discord.gg/yqjTYk
- Many of our events will move to Discord, including LGBTea, The Game Agenda, and Movie Screenings. As well, you’ll be seeing some new events there, including a Breakfast Club and Netflix viewing parties
- Our peer support has moved from Lipsi to Discord, where you can access support from other students as well as OOC staff
- Our newsletters will have an increased focus on good news items, webinars available to support wellbeing, and ways to support and connect with our online community. You can sign up here: http://eepurl.com/gD58Ib
- View the COVID-19 Women’s Centre resources here.
- Connect with the community (SFU students of all gender) through Discord: https://discord.gg/uyMFHTH
- We will be working with Health and Counselling, as well as SVSPO, for online services to the community. Stay tuned for updates.
- Feel free to contact the Athena, the Women’s Centre coordinator at email@example.com for the following:
- Research services. Email Athena if you’re looking for specific resources in your area.
- Emotional support/referrals. These are usually conducted by zoom and Skype but phone calls can be arranged as well.
- “Ask a gardener” Q&A for new gardeners.
- Help with job searching, editing your resume and cover letters, and improving your interview skills.
- We are working on setting up multiplayer online games (suggestions are encouraged) and hosting zoom study/chat sessions with students. Reach out to Athena if you’re interested.
Update as of January 2021:
If you’re an eligible student who received a U-Pass BC in January, you will be automatically provided your U-Pass BC for February onto the same Compass card. No further action is required.
If you’re an eligible student and did not receive your U-Pass BC by January 31st, please contact Compass Customer Service at 604-398-2042 or email at compasscard.ca
For validation purposes you will need to provide your full Compass Card, Student ID and the name of the School you attend.
Please be sure to have your Compass Card and Student ID numbers ready.
Update as of December 2020:
Students’ access to TransLink’s U-Pass BC account currently remains unavailable. If you loaded a U-Pass BC to your account in November, TransLInk has manually loaded a U-Pass BC for December. If a student’s U-Pass BC has not been loaded to their account for December, students are asked to contact Compass Customer Service.
If you have any questions or problems setting up your U-Pass BC, please contact the SFU U-Pass BC office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 778.782.6930.