November 20, 2020
The Independent Electoral Commission [IEC] Chief Commissioner will be responsible for coordinating elections, by-elections, and referendums that adhere to all related policies, by-laws, and regulations of the Society.
This is a temporary part time (minimum 8 hours and up to 35 hours per week) student position with a wage rate of $15.63 per hour. The term of employment will be from December 2020 to May 31, 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversee the adherence to the SFSS By-Laws and Elections and Referenda Policies.
2. Approve candidates, referendum questions, candidate campaign literature and expenses, and/or elections and referendum ballots for Executive and Council elections.
3. Maintain office hours and ensure that members are informed of these hours.
4. Supervise the IEC Commissioners (which includes but is not limited to creating schedules and assigning office hours).
5. Write reports to present on a regular basis to the Campaigns, Research, and Policy Coordinator on the status and results of elections and/or referenda, and recommendations for elections and referendum process improvements.
6. Coordinate and support engagement initiatives.
7. Coordinate the administration of complaints and inquiries related to the SFSS elections and referendum.
8. Chair candidate debates, and other election related events as needed.
9. Administer the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) budget.
10. Submit requests for staff support on behalf of the IEC.
11. Oversee the receipt of the results of Executive and Council elections.
12. Rule a candidacy or referendum question invalid or impose a reimbursement reduction for campaign violations.
13. Draft additional election rules to govern the conduct of the elections that does not conflict with the SFSS By-Laws or other SFSS regulations.
14. Other duties as required.
Required Skills and Experience:
1. The IEC Chief Commissioner shall be an active member in good standing of the Society, except that no current member of or candidate for the Board, Council, Department Student Union or a Faculty Student Union may serve as a member of the IEC.
2. Strong written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills and attention to detail.
Desirable start date: As soon as possible
Posting Closes: December 6, 2020 (11:59 pm)
Applicants must be available to work Monday to Friday during regular office hours (between 7 am to 7 pm PT). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.