Out on Campus is a department of the Simon Fraser Student Society dedicated to supporting SFU’s LGBTQ+ students and allies. All are welcome to use our space and access our services. We are funded by the SFSS and the Graduate Student Society and are located in the Rotunda (TC 314N). Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9:00-16:00.
We aim to:
- Provide you opportunities to learn more about LGBTQ+ culture, history, and issues, and help you grow as an advocate for the LGBTQ+ communities.
- Provide a nonjudgmental, trustworthy, and confidential space to express your sexual and gender identity freely, without fear of violence, exclusion, and identity policing.
- Connect you with local resources that aim to support LGBTQ+ communities manage their physical, mental, and sexual health.
- Make our space and events accessible. Please ask us for a copy of SFU’s inclusive events checklist to learn more about this.
Services we offer:
- A safe and inclusive space for LGBTQ+ students and their allies
- A comprehensive and regularly-updated LGBTQ+ library
- Peer support and crisis referrals
- Free safer sex resources, sanitary products, and razors
- Free refreshments and kitchen facilities
- Informational resources
- Regular social, cultural, and educational programming
Connect with us:
- Ashley Brooks (pronouns: he/him; Coordinator): email@example.com
- Noah Jensen (pronouns: he/him; Admin Assistant): firstname.lastname@example.org
At Out on Campus, it is important for us to regularly acknowledge and reflect on the reality that our anti-oppression work takes place on unceded Indigenous territories. Colonialism continues to impact Indigenous LGBTQ+ – and particularly Two-Spirit – people in Canada today, and as an act of reconciliation and solidarity with the Indigenous LGBTQ+ communities we serve, we begin each of our events with the following land acknowledgement:
“We are grateful to undertake significant anti-oppressive work on Unceded Coast Salish Territories, which to the best of our current knowledge includes ancestral homelands belonging to Xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh), Stó:lō, and Kwikwetlem Peoples”
To learn more about the importance of land acknowledgements, we suggest reading this article from CBC news.
- Tel. 778.782.5933
- General: email@example.com
Rotunda, TC 314-N
8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6
(Unceded) Coast Salish Territories